Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thanks!

I'm writing this from my hotel room in Dos Lunas. This has to be the best $22.00 I've spent on this trip. The Dutch couple that run the place are very nice and welcoming.

My article is coming along nicely. How often do you get to tie in John Denver, Gene Wilder, and an exploding orange into one article about Guatemala? This is what I love about my job. I never know what to expect other than something.

I fly back tomorrow (Friday, July 10).

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who spent any time on this blog--from one second to an hour or more. Even though this is largely a one-way medium, I feel like this has been a strong link back home.

I have mailed postcards to everyone who requested one. But, Guatemala being Guatemala, I suspect most of the cards will arrive sometime in August.

Traveling alone is a unique experience. You have to rely on yourself, and you can't take shortcuts. I met only a couple of people who were traveling alone for an extended period of time (> a month). But I did meet a lot of couples (e.g. from France, Germany, the U.S.) who were traveling together for 6 months or more.

Some of you may ask me if I plan to return to Guatemala. I am not captivated by Guatemala. I've spent a total of 8 weeks in the country. It has its pretty moments and places. But at its heart, the country is one of poverty, lack of resources, lack of education, and it is full of corruption. This is a country that seems to have lost its way. It is not moving forward nor backward. It simply exists.

During the last 4 weeks I spent here, I lived with a couple--Maria and Hugo. (ed--forgot to get a photo, damn!) They have 4 (I think) grown children and have been together they were 15 years old. Of the 3 homes I have lived in in Guatemala, their home was the most welcoming and inviting. If I do return to Guatemala, it will be to live with them again while attending school.

This may not be my last post. Yes, a twist! I may release the Archive of Almost-Posted and some other fun things I may come up with.




1 comment:

  1. I can't believe it's been that long already! I hope your trip back to the U.S. is safe. Looking forward to seeing your article sometime in the future!

    ReplyDelete